Sunday 6 January 2013

Rick Dias MG

The festive period provided me with lots of time to get the Rick Dias done, all in all taking only 6 days to complete on and off :)

Things that turned out well: The red armour parts I was very pleased with, initially I thought I had mixed up the highlighting red too pink, but it was thin enough to not cover the red entirely, so the final effect was a nice "char" style highlight.

Things that went OK:  The grey and black parts. The finish could have been a little better but that was down tot he primer mainly :)

Thanks that did not go so well: The thrusters.. I have no idea why I thought spraying alclad II chrome, over a matt finish primer would result in a chrome finish.. I neglected to add a coat of gloss enamel and thus it took several hours for the alclad to dry, in a more "brushed steel" look than the chrome I was after. Hey ho, you live and learn. I also primed some gunmetal parts in white, resulting in some gunmetal parts coming out very silvery. Did not matter too much however due to it being on the inner frame, and the silvery-ness of the gunmetal actually looked pretty good on the models piping.

The result: Pretty happy actually, once the matt topcoat was added it all came together. The MS design itself is incredibly sturdy, and although one of the right arm joints was loose it did not really pose a problem when it came to attaching the clay cannon. Really enjoyed this build, and would totally recommend it to anyone else looking to build an MG. Definitely one of my favourite builds so far.

Enough talking, here's some pictures!















I also took the liberty to film this build from start to end, so if you like here's how I did it!




No comments:

Post a Comment