Tuesday 3 July 2012

Why do you like Gunpla?

I am pondering to myself why, in this past year I have dedicated so much time and effort into Gunpla. To explain this a little clearer - go back a whole year and a bit to before I decided in one second, to buy a gunpla kit in a junk store in Japan. At that point my life interest was music, which at one point was providing me with a satisfactory level of happiness, and creative fulfilment in my life. I actually went in that store with the sole purpose of buying some electro-gizmo noise making machine that could turn me a profit in the UK once I had sampled the hell out of it (great cash maker, but don;t even think of doing it now with the current exchange rate!) However, in the year or so leading up to that decision, I was not getting anything from it simply because I was getting to logically involved with music, and the creative element had stopped. I did not see this at the time, and labelled it as a "writers block" of sorts.

Now, fast forward to now - I spend nearly every spare moment, setting aside other enjoyments such a spending time with the people I love, films and video games working on gunpla, watching other working on gunpla, learning new techniques, reading comics, watching gundam anime and talking to other through forums and social networking about gunpla. The reason why I love it so much right now is because it is putting me back in touch with my creative side which I had lost. I gain an aesthetic pleasure from the beautiful designs of MS' I have always enjoyed since a young age (which I had denied myself of partaking throughout my 20's simply because of lack of exposure to it, and lack of availability, and personal inhibition quite rediculously) - but I am now articulating them into my own creative interpretations, exercising my creativity, thus feeding my enjoyment.

This is providing happiness, and this is why I like Gunpla. It sounds quite logical in a sense, thus somewhat contradicting my point that exercising my creativity has lead to enjoyment - its a logical conclusion that enjoyment and fulfilment is gained through creativity - so why, oh why, is logic as an entity, held in higher regard than creativity in our society? Culturally, this will be different, but here if you tell people you make little Japanese robot models you are labelled among some normal people as "weird". I think these people have no true happiness, and only ever live in denial of their true selves so as not to stand out and be mocked.

No, I am not stoned, just wanted to share my thoughts. later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment