Tuesday 27 August 2013

Real Grades

So, I was sent recently a lovely gift from the nice fellows at Japan:Cool which happens to also be my number 2 favourite Gundam of all time, the GP-01fb - in real grade format.

Since the RG line came about I never really paid it much attention. Just kind of saw them as scaled down master grades, which they essentially are. Since I have started cutting and sanding however I have come to realise just how amazing the engineering is on these things, and the scale to detail ratio is astounding!

What first struck me (which probably does not come as a surprise to most avid builders and collectors of gunpla by now) was the intricate moving parts already attached to the sprue - I found myself bending the leg joints to and from just to admire the double-joints moving along with the connecting parts that will (assuming) allow the armour parts to separate in a more "master grade" fashion. Although I think the HG line as extensive as it is still has a few years left of releases, the RG line certainly is a worthy successor in the years to come.

Bandai get's its fair share of criticism and nerd-like over analysis from it's fans. Justifiably so with its shiny special editions, updated boxes with a little extra part to its predecessor and unashamedly corporately branded re-issues of old kits taking full advantage of the unenviable buying habits of its most avid collectors (including myself, on occassion.. I can be forgiven right?), but you can say for sure regardless of its blatant profit-making, it is most importantly innovating. Bravo chaps.

Still working on it by the way. There are considerably more parts than I anticipated, and with a curious 3-year-old around I am being extra careful not to lose tiny parts in the carpet. I video of its assembly as promised will be delivered when I get around to it..  I hate this carpet in here.. I will take it up one day..

Quick vid here of me and JK opening the box.


I am also still, yes still working out the details of my forthcoming contest which has been somewhat overshadowed by the recent announcement of the HLJ compo (to which I will be participating, if I ever get the time for it...). Stay tuned here for an announcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment